What’s the Importance of Keywords in Search Engine Optimization?
A search engine collects information about all the data available in the world wide web as plain text, pictures, graphics, videos, audios, PDF’s etc and stores this information in their own database. Further it provides a facility to the users in the form of an interface called as a search box where the users enter a word or sentence that defines the specific product or service that they are looking for. And then the search engines match these words with the pages available in their databases and displays them in the search engine results page. The selection and listing of the web pages are made on the basis of certain set of algorithm that the search engines follow, but one basic rule followed by the search engines is that the content of the page or pages should closely match the word or words that the user has entered in the search box. This word or set of words are generally referred as keywords or key-phrase.
What is a Keyword or Key-phrase?
A Keyword or Key-phrase is one or more set of words that closely relate to the product or services that you are selling on your website. Like for example if you are providing a computer repairing service then your keywords on that web-page would be computer repair service, computer services, printer services, computers repairs etc.
What is the importance of a Keyword?
The entire concept of a search engine is dependent on the words or phrase or keywords that the user keys-in the search box. The search engines will pick up the list of pages of information from its databases that closely match the keyword and lists them in the search engine results page. So, from the point of view of the website designer it becomes important to include and write the page content using the relevant keywords that match the product or services that you are trying to sell or promote on your website.
How do you select the right set of keywords for your website?
Its not enough if you just select a bunch of keywords and sprinkle them in your web-pages, its also important to do a proper research and find out as to what the people are searching for and how they are searching them, like what are the keywords or key-phrase they are using. In addition you need to know as to how many pages are already indexed by the search engines for that set of keywords, I mean the competition level. Also you need to remember that the keywords that you select for your website must be suitable to describe your products and service in a very convenient and meaningful manner.
How many keywords can I use per web-page?
Do not use too many keywords because that would make your page look very generic and not so specific and at the same time do not use just one keyword. It would be good to use between 2 and 3 keywords max in one page.
Some important concepts that the search engines consider with reference to the Keywords.
Its the ratio between the total indexable words used on the web-page and the number of times you have used the keyword within the document. It should be maintained between 3-4% max.
If your keyword is a phrase consisting of 2 or 3 words, then you can use it as a single key phrase within your document or you can split the words and use them independently but remember to keep the different words of the same key phrase as close as possible to each other preferably within the same sentence. This concept is usually referred as keyword Proximity and search engines give a lot of importance to it while ranking your website in the SERP’s.
Repeatedly using the same keywords within your document without any meaning with the sole intention of increasing the keyword density is called a keyword stuffing and the search engines do not encourage it, if used extensively your website is likely to be banned by the search engines.
Using the same keyword phrase in different combination is called as keyword dilution. For example if your keyword is seo training Bangalore, you use it as Bangalore seo training, training in Bangalore, seo Bangalore training etc. This is not encouraged by the search engines and may lead to ban of your website.
The search engines have figured out the most important locations within a web-page where the keywords should be used so that the visitor who sees your website gets a clear picture of the products and services that you are offering and also encourages him to buy on your website. Some of the important locations where you can use the keywords are in the page title, page description, page header, file names, alt text in images, within the page content etc. This is referred as keyword prominence.
Your website is your virtual business stores on the Internet. When people visit your website they check on details about the available products and services that you are selling to them. They may spend a few seconds or minutes on your website and then maybe they will buy something from your website or they may just leave your website by either opening some other website or by closing the browser tab itself. Now, why do people do this?
Website user experience is a very important aspect for your online business, if the user experience is good then you will surely make a lot of sales through your website but if the user experience is not so good then people may just leave in a few seconds after your website has loaded.
What are the important aspects that influence the user experience on your website?
Your web-page should be focused on a specific topic, product or services that the user is searching for.
Your website should have easy navigation system.
Have few and clear pictures that relate to the subject matter.
Use light background colors and visible fonts with suitable size and color.
Contact information like telephone numbers / contact persons names should be clearly mentioned on every web-page of your website.
Online chat facility should be provided for quick communication system.
Content should be clear, informative and in simple language without any spelling and grammatical mistakes.
You website should load within 2-3 seconds max time.
If your web-page content is more, then spread the content to multiple pages with proper navigation system.
Your business website should be free from any kind of sponsor ads.
Do not use any kind of popup windows either at an entry or exit point.
Do not use any kind of re-directions for your web-pages.
No under construction pages on your website.
No false claims and promises about the products and services that your are selling on your website.
Check and make sure there are no HTML coding errors on your website.
Remember that if the website user experience on your website is good then you can be assured of making lots of sales on your website and you will also get a positive feedback from your satisfied customers and that in turn will attract more new customers to your website, but if the user experience is bad then the whole scenario will change and the after effects will not be so good both for your business as well as for your reputation.
So, check and make required corrections on your website as suggested in this article, improve your website user experience and attract more and more satisfied customers.
Internet is made up of websites, documents, worksheets, images, videos, audio, programs, scripts and such other related files, millions of them or even more. These files represents a huge volume of data or information related to business, education, entertainment, sports and almost every information under the sun. Among all this information the most important information is about the business establishments both local to your place as well as the global players. Using a search engine you can find out details of the products and services that you are looking for, who sells them and from where, through their websites.
If you are a business person or you are representing a business establishment then you must have a business website to derive all the benefits that come to you almost for free. Some of the benefits that you can enjoy are listed below:
1. Brand Building : By having your own website, you can build your own brand over a period of time. On your website if everything is made available to the visitor, like relevant information about your products and services, your contact information, online chat system, smooth payment and delivery system, then there is no doubt that your prospective customer will have a great experience while he is on your website and this will motivate him to buy his requirements from you and with the availability of sharing and reviewing system on the various social websites, it will not take a long time for the word to spread to the masses about your website. As more and more people come to know about your products and services, the traffic to your website will gradually increase and your business will improve resulting in earning more profit for your company. All the while building a unique brand name for your company.
2. Online Brochure : The advantage of a website is that you can represent information about your products and services in various formats like text, pictures, videos, audio and presentations. In addition, your website can be dynamic as well. So, with proper planning you can create a complete online colorful, dynamic and eye-catching brochure about your products and services. The additional features that you can include to your online brochure are an online chatting system, online payment system and an instant
3. Virtual Marketer that’s available 24/7/365 : Carrying out business through a brick and mortar shop is restricted in many ways, like you may be available to your customers for a limited time say from 9am to 9pm or whenever your shop is open and then you close your shop and go back to your home. What happens if a customer wants to visit your shop either before 9am or after 9pm?. In case he visits, he has to go back seeing a locked door which means that probably you have lost a prospective customer. If you do not want to loose your customers in this way and you want to be available for them all 24/7 then you will have to have your own business website that will work for you for almost full-time 24/7 without any break or complains.
4. Global Reach : The limitation of a brick and a mortar shop is that your prospective customers are limited to your locality. If you have been into business for quite some time and built up a reputation for yourself then you may have customers visiting your shop from the neighboring localities as well. But still there is a limitation, in the sense that you may not have any customers from a neighboring city or town because the people over there are not aware of your shop. If you still wish that someone from a different city or town visit your shop you will have to do a lot of advertising and that would cost you a lot of money. So, what is the solution?, I would suggest you to have your own business website and believe me if done correctly, you can reach out to global customers all 24/7 without spending a fortune. With all the facilities like online chat, online payment system, online delivery system, things become more convenient and easy for you as well as to your customer. More visitors to your website means more business to your company and the end result is more profit to your company. Your website is your online business representative who is available for your customers even while you are sleeping.
5. Your website is Dynamic : Means that you can update your website anytime from anywhere with the latest information about your company, products and services such that every time your customers visit your website, they will find something new to read, this keeps their excitement alive and motivates them to visit your website again and again. Updating your website is very easy, fast and convenient. While you are updating your website simultaneously the updated information is made available to your visitors and prospective customers.
6. Its Cost Effective : To have a brick and mortar business established at a reasonably good location it may cost you a fortune. If you plan to have even a rented shop of say 10 ft x 10 ft you may have to pay a minimum monthly rent of Rs.5000 to Rs.100000 depending upon the locality you select. Next comes the furniture and products cost. As you cannot start a business without stock you will have to buy sufficient stock of your products and this would cost you additional funds. So overall you may end up spending
lots of money just to start off your business without any guarantee that you will make a profit. Now consider having your own business website, how much would it cost you?, the overall cost would be for the domain name & server space registration and a few website resources in terms of pictures, content etc. All this put together would cost you less than Rs.10000 for the whole year. You don’t need to buy any stock in advance, you buy only when you have an order to be fulfilled, this way you do not end up having dead stock.
7. Easy Payment System : With more and more people buying online it becomes necessary to have a convenient method of receiving the payments from these customers from within your website. To accept an online payment you need to integrate a suitable payment gateway system on your website. Presently, there a number of options to choose from, the most popular being Paypal, which provides you with a very easy and a convenient way of accepting your payments on your website through credit or debit cards from both local as well as global customers. The implementation is easy and maintenance free. In addition there are a lot of other companies offering this service. So, if you are conducting your business online through your website then you can easily implement a suitable payment gateway system on your website and start conducting your business tension free.
8. Easy Delivery System : If you are selling digital products like pictures, videos, audio, software, documents, games, apps or any other digital product on your website and say someone buys one of these products from you then how will you deliver the product to your customer?, easy, upload all these digital products on your server and whenever someone buys a product from you, you just need to send them the download link to this particular product and your customer can instantly download the same on his computer by clicking the download link. Its easy, fast and totally free delivery system.
9. Easy Tracking System : If you buy a product from one of the local shops in your area, the whole process would be very simple like you pay the cost of the product to the shopkeeper and instantly he delivers the product to you and the deal is closed. But, in case you buy something online like a mobile phone or a watch then the delivery of the product does not happen instantly, instead the shop keeper will have to pack your product and send it to you through the postal or a courier service, this may take some
time depending on how far or near you are placed from the supplier. Meanwhile, you may be anxious to know about the status of your product like, has the company send the product, how far has it reached and how many more days you will have to wait to receive the product. All this information can be easily tracked online and live, you just need to implement a proper and a suitable tracking system on your website. This way you will be saving a lot of time that you would have been spending answering questions
about their purchase and delivery time from your customers.
10. Instant and Easy Communication with Clients : There are a number of ways by which you can communicate with your prospective customers who are visiting your website. For example, assume that one of your website visitor wants to send you a quick message then he can fill up the contact us form and directly send it to you. In case if he is using a mobile phone to view your website then he can click on the instant call now button and directly speak to you. And, by implementing an online chat system, you can start an online chat with one or more of your website visitors anytime and from anywhere. This way, by having a systematic communication system implemented on your website you can always be in touch with your prospective customers, answer their questions, built up a good rapo with them and ultimately do more business, earn more profit and develop a longtime business relationship with them.
11. Increased Business and Profit : By being online you are available full-time to your customers, you can reach out to the masses without spending even a pie. The convenience of a website will attract more and more prospective customers to your website and when more and more customers reach out to your website, your sales will increase in leaps and bounds and the result would be in terms of more profit for your company.
So, I am sure by now you must have realized the importance and advantages of having a business website. If you still do not have a business website, I would suggest you to immediately have one, you will surely be benefited in many ways.
Benefits of selecting the right domain name for your business website.
What’s a domain name?
Domain name is your identity on the world wide web. Your website planning, designing and implementation starts with the selection and registeration of a suitable domain name. You can have a website either for personal use or for your business purpose. If your website is to promote your business then it becomes very important to select the best domain name. Remember that a domain name also helps you to build your own brand on the world wide web just like google and yahoo.
Some factors you need to consider while choosing your domain name:
1. Let your domain name be short, meaningful and easy to remember type.
2. If your domain name is a phrase then use hyphen to seperate the words instead of white space.
3. Preferably use alphabets while naming your domain and if necessary one or two hyphens only.
4. For business websites avoid using personal names within your domain names.
5. Do not use any spaces and special characters within your domain names.
6. Include the name of your product or service within the domain name.
Types of domain names and their importance:
While you are registering your domain name on the world wide web, you will have to select a suitable domain extension for your website like .com, .org, .net, .biz, .in, .mob etc. There are about more than 25+ domain extensions to select from. So how do you decide which domain extension is perfect and most beneficial for your website?. Well, it depends on what your business is about and from where you are operating. Say for example for business websites you can go for .com extension and for an educational institute .edu would be more suitable and if you are conducting a business within a particular country say India then you can select .in as your domain extension. So, your domain extension revels more details about your business on the world wide web.
Some examples of domain extensions are:
Business purpose : .com
Organization purpose : .org
Country specific : .in, .au
Mobile specific : .mob
Network specific : .net
Education specific : .edu
Government organizations : .gov
What’s the approximate cost of registering a domain name?
A domain registration may cost you from Rs.99 per year to a lakh per year depending on many factors like:
1. When you register a new domain name, mostly for the first year you pay less. The cost will increase from subsequent years.
2. If you plan to buy an already existing and active domain from someone then you may have to pay additional premium amount other that the domain renewal fees. The amount depends on the demand and urgency.
3. Your domain name cost may also depend on the extension like .com may cost more than .in
4. While registering a domain name you have a choice of renewing it of 1/2/5/10/12 years or more. If you select one year then the next year you will have to once again renew for the next one year or more else your domain name may expire. So, the cost of domain names also depends on the validity meaning that the more the validity the less cost you pay.
How do I find if a domain is already registered or not and if registered who the owner is?
You can use the whois.com website to find if a particular domain name is available for registration. If its already registered then you can find all the details of the current owner of the domain name provided the information is not made private.
What is the process of registering a new domain name?
Follow these simple steps to register your new domain name:
1. Decide on a couple of suitable domain names either for personal or business website
2. Open the website https://in.godaddy.com
3. Enter the domain name in the box provided, select the correct extension name and click on search
4. If your domain is available it will list the same with other alternative domain names, their cost of registration etc.
5. If some domain name suits your requirements then click on Select button besides the specific domain name that you want to register.
6. Then click on Continue to Cart and follow the steps, make the payment and confirm your order.
7. If everything is done correctly your domain will be registered and a success message will be displayed on the monitor screen. You will also receive the confirmation message to your email box as well.
Where else can I register my domain name?
You can register your domain name at any authorized domain registrars like godaddy, twocows etc.
What are the beneifits of having the right domain or website name?
You can build your own brand name.
Build up your online presence.
Improve your online sales
Customers will remember you by your website name.
Attract more visitors to your website and earn more profit from your business.
Search Engine Optimization is a vast subject, no wonder if you properly understand the concepts of SEO and implement them on your website the results would be really significant like there can be an increase in the website traffic through organic search and also improvement in your online sales.
But, for a better performance and result its not enough if you just know the concepts of search engine optimization, you also need to know about the various online tools that are available for free and you can use them to manage, monitor and analyze your website performance on the world wide web. It would significantly save you a lot of time and effort, the results would be more than you had expected.
In this section we will be posting lots of useful information about the various SEO tools, their importance, how to use them and how they can help you while you are optimizing your website for the world wide web.